21 January 2021
04 February 2021
12 February 2021
27 February 2021
Estonian Medical Association Centenary (1 stamp)
01 March 2021
Estonian Statistics Centenary (1 stamp)
01 March 2021
Cornflower (1 stamp)
13 April 2021
Järvselja Centenary (1 souvenir sheet)
29 April 2021
Estonian Ornithological Society Centenary (1 souvenir sheet)
06 May 2021
EUROPA – Endangered Wildlife (2 stamps)
20 May 2021
Flower Stamp (1 stamp)
11 June 2021
Summer Olympic Games – Tokyo 2020 (1 stamp)
16 June 2021
World Congress of Finno-Ugric Peoples (1 stamp)
01 July 2021
Estonian Football Federation Centenary (1 stamp)
12 July 2021
European Athletics U20 Championships Tallinn 2021 (1 stamp)
12 August 2021
Great Estonian Things (1 stamp)
10 September 2021
Estonian Fauna – The Stoat (1 stamp)
16 September 2021
First Film Screening 125th Anniversary (1 stamp)
17 September 2021
Churches – St Michael’s Church in Keila (1 stamp)
20 September 2021
Estonian Civil Aviation Centenary (1 stamp)
01 October 2021
Estonia’s National Animal – The Wolf (1 stamp)
15 October 2021
Christmas 2021 (2 stamps)
15 October 2021
Estonian Blind Union Centenary (1 stamp)
01 November 2021
Estonian-Brazilian Joint Issue (2 stamps)
17 November 2021
Art – Treasures of the Art Museum of Estonia (1 mark)
Omniva is an international post and logistics company based in Tallinn, Estonia, with the entire Baltic states as its domestic market. The name Omniva was adopted in June 2014; the company was previously called Eesti Post, whose history can be traced back to the beginning of postal services in Estonian territory (at that time part of the Swedish Empire) in 1638.
As of June 2014, the single brand Omniva is responsible for a number of services which have been known by other names, such as the Post24 automatic parcel machines, ELS courier service, Kirjakeskus mail centre and eArvekeskus e-invoicing centre. Omniva retains the name Eesti Post for the division of the company responsible for the postal service of Estonia.
In 1625, mainland Estonia came entirely under Swedish Empire rule. Estonia was administratively divided between the provinces of Estonia (in the north) and Livonia (in southern Estonia and northern Latvia), a division which persisted until the early 20th century.
Due to the wars in Denmark, Germany and in the Baltic provinces the postal communications were of vital importance to the Swedish Government and especially to the military authorities. There was not yet a general postal organization at that time. As the postal route via Denmark periodically was interrupted, the mail from Sweden to Germany was often directed either via Finland and Tallinn or via seaway to Riga. This background explains the appointment in 1625 of Jakob Becker of Riga as Postmaster for Livonia and Prussia. In 1631 Becker was made responsible for the printing shop of the University of Tartu. The public notice Postordnung of 26 September 1632 printed in Tartu by Becker can be considered to be the opening date for general mail in Estonia.
After the end of the Great Northern War Estonia was incorporated in the Russian Empire through the Peace of Uusikaupunkti (Nystad) in 1721. This period of Estonian history began already with the surrender of Tallinn in 1710. The needs for a properly functioning postal service had become so important that already in the negotiations about the capitulation one of the conditions of the cities was that post offices should be re-opened and that postal communications with neutral countries should remain open. These conditions were accepted by the Russian authorities. At the beginning the postal communications were rather sporadic and mainly met the military needs. In 1704 Narva was included in the postal route Saint Petersburg – Narva – Pskov – Velikiye Luki – Poland.
After the Bolshevik takeover of power in Russia during the October Revolution of 1917 and German victories against the Russian army, between the Russian Red Army’s retreat and the arrival of advancing German troops, the Committee of Elders of the Maapäev issued the Estonian Declaration of Independence in Pärnu on 23 February and in Tallinn on 24 February 1918. On 25 February 1918, the German occupation authorities gained control over the Tallinn Post Office and liquidated the former postal service. On 13 November 1918 the Commander of the Estonian Defence League Colonel Johan Unt appointed Hindrek Rikand with a directive as the Commandant of the Tallinn Post and Telegraph Office and ordered him to take the Office under his guard. The Estonian Postal Administration considers this date as its date of organizational establishment.
The first Estonian stamps were put into circulation in November 1918. On 22 and 30 November, the first stamps bearing a flower ornament and having the nominal values of 5 and 15 kopecks were issued. These first issues were printed by the Bölau Printing House in the town of Nõmme (now a district of Tallinn). The perforated 15 kopecks of the Flowers Issue was a perforation trial ordered by the Postal Authorities. The trial was made on sheets of printers waste from the 1st and 2nd printings (perf. 11½). The marginal stamps were not perforated on the outside. Therefore, there are stamps perforated only on three or two (corner stamps) sides. The trial was not considered successful and therefore not repeated. The total number of the perforated stamps is not known and very likely it will remain unknown.
According to Schönherr, the Post Office in Tallinn sold about 6,500 stamps to a dealer, who sent most of them via Finland to Germany. The package never arrived and its fate is still unknown. It has been mentioned in the literature that a small number of stamps was sold over the counter by the Post Office. The exact figure is also unknown.
The total number of the stamps still in circulation is thought to be no greater than 1000 of which genuine items are very rare. Most of the “perforated” stamps in collections are forgeries or private perforations – which can to be recognized by good perforation quality and the stamps mostly being from the 4th and 5th printings. Especially rare is the block of four and naturally on cover. Probably 2-3 covers may exist at all. The perforated 15 kopecks of the Flowers Issue remains one of the most rare and mysterious postage stamps of Estonia.
Estonia joined the Universal Postal Union (UPU) on 19 May 1922. In addition to the ordinary mail (based on road transport), Estonia also had a ship and air mail services. Naval transport was used for sending mail to Helsinki and Stockholm. In 1923, Aeronaut Airlines began to carry mail six times a week to Helsinki and Riga. Before the start of the Second World War (in 1939) and the Soviet annexation (in 1940) a total of 163 stamps and 4 stamp blocks were put into circulation.
By 1935, the Postal Administration earned already a profit of 1.5 million krones with more than 3,600 outlets in Estonia’s territory for the provision of postal, 782 ones, of telegraph, and 1.841 ones, of telephone services. The service network included 120 combined post-telegraph-telephone offices, the rest of the system consisted of auxiliary units – 600 postal agencies and nearly 3000 “letter farms”. World War II and the Soviet deportations inflicted great damages to the well-developed postal network of Estonia, but the organization conscientiously continued its everyday work; although short pauses occurred in the areas of immediate hostilities.
From its renewed existence in 1991, Eesti Post, since 2014 also known as Omniva, issued an average of 25 to 30 different stamps, souvenir sheets and booklets a year, with an annual total face value ranging from about ten (until 2009) to twenty euros (2010 and onwards). The most popular themes, such as lighthouses, manor halls as architectural monuments, folk costumes, Estonian birds, animals, as well as Christmas stamps became established over time and run into long series issued over several years. Prominent among the sports stamps they issued, were those featuring Estonian Olympic gold medal winners.
In addition to definitives and thematic sets, Eesti Post issues First Day Covers and cards, maximum cards and provides special cancellations among their philatelic products. They also offer year-sets in folders at a premium both for stamps and First Day Covers.
In December 2017, the World Online Philatelic Agency (WOPA) recognized an Estonian stamp designed by Indrek Ilves and depicting a lynx as the most beautiful stamp of 2017.
Republic of Estonia
The Republic of Estonia (Estonian: Eesti Vabariik), is a country on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea in Northern Europe. It is bordered to the north by the Gulf of Finland across from Finland, to the west by the Baltic Sea across from Sweden, to the south by Latvia, and to the east by Lake Peipus and Russia. The territory of Estonia consists of the mainland and of 2,222 islands in the Baltic Sea, covering a total area of 45,227 km² (17,462 square miles), and is influenced by a humid continental climate. Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, and Tartu are the largest cities and urban areas in the country. Other notable cities include Narva, Pärnu, Kohtla-Järve and Viljandi. The official language of the country, Estonian, is the second-most-spoken Finnic language.
The territory of Estonia has been inhabited since at least 9,000 BC. Ancient Estonians became some of the last European pagans to adopt Christianity following the Livonian Crusade in the 13th century. After centuries of successive rule by Germans, Danes, Swedes, Poles and Russians, a distinct Estonian national identity began to emerge in the 19th and early 20th centuries. This culminated in independence from Russia in 1920 after a brief War of Independence at the end of World War I, where Estonians, led by General Laidoner, had to fight for their newborn freedom. Initially democratic prior to the Great Depression, Estonia experienced authoritarian rule from 1934 during the Era of Silence. During World War II (1939–1945), Estonia was repeatedly contested and occupied by Germany and the Soviet Union, ultimately being incorporated into the latter as the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic. After the loss of its de facto independence for the Soviet Union, Estonia’s de jure state continuity was preserved by diplomatic representatives and the government-in-exile. In 1987 the peaceful Singing Revolution began against Soviet rule, resulting in the restoration of de facto independence on 20 August 1991.
The sovereign state of Estonia is a democratic unitary parliamentary republic divided into fifteen counties. With a population of 1.3 million, Estonia is one of the least populous members of the European Union, the Eurozone, the OECD, the Schengen Area, NATO, and from 2020, the United Nations Security Council.
The national flag of Estonia (Estonian: Eesti lipp) is a tricolor featuring three equal horizontal bands of blue (top), black, and white. The normal size is 105 by 165 centimeters (41 in × 65 inches). In Estonian it is colloquially called the “sinimustvalge” (lit. ‘”blue-black-white”‘), after the colors of the bands.
First adopted on 16 July 1922 after its independence, it was used as a national flag until 1940 when the Soviet Union occupied Estonia. After World War II, from 1944 to 1990, the Soviet Estonian flag consisted first of a generic red Soviet flag with the name of the republic, then changed to the red flag with a band of blue water waves near the bottom. The Estonian flag, which was also used by the Estonian government-in-exile, was officially re-adopted 7 August 1990 one year before its official restoration of independence.
During early 1820s, in the recently refounded University of Tartu, three eponymous student corporations were established for every Baltic province (Estonia, Livonia and Curonia). Each of them selected their own colors (“Farben”), which, in turn, became flags and visual representations of the corresponding duchy/province. Public wearing of these colors was regularly banned by Russian authorities, finally in 1915, during anti-German campaign.
In 1881 the Society of Estonian Students, the first Estonian student organization, at the University of Tartu (Estonia) was formed, a similar tricolor was constructed. Yet by that time the selection of the particular colors was also attributed to the Finnish flag, and the colors were ascribed symbolic meanings.
The Estonian flag was therefore officially adopted first as a student organization flag on 17 September 1881 by the constituent assembly of the first Estonian national student Corps “Vironia” (modern Estonian Students Society) in the city of Tartu. The colors and the pattern eventually became the national flag.
A symbolism-interpretation made popular by the poetry of Martin Lipp says the blue is for the vaulted blue sky above the native land, the black for attachment to the soil of the homeland as well as the fate of Estonians — for centuries black with worries, and white for purity, hard work, and commitment.
The coat of arms of Estonia depicts a golden shield, which includes three slim blue lions passant gardant with red tongues in the middle and golden oak branches along both sides of the shield. The lesser coat of arms lacks these oak branches. The three lions derive from the arms of Danish king Valdemar II who had conquered northern Estonia in 1219. The lions became part of the greater coat of arms of Tallinn, the centre of Danish government in Estonia, and the knightages (German: Ritterschaften) of Harria and Viru.
In 1346, Denmark sold its Estonian dominion to the Teutonic Order after its power had been severely weakened during the St George’s Night Uprising of 1343-1346. The three lions, however, remained the central element of the greater coat of arms of Tallinn. In later centuries, the motif of the three lions transferred to the coat of arms of the Duchy of Estonia, the Ritterschaft of Estland, and to the coat of arms of the Governorate of Estonia. The Riigikogu (the state assembly) of the independent Republic of Estonia officially adopted the coat of arms on 19 June 1925.
The coat of arms was officially banned following the occupation of Estonia by the Soviet Union in 1940, and replaced with the Soviet-inspired emblem of the Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic. Soviet officials persecuted and jailed anyone using the coat of arms or the national colors of Estonia. The coat of arms remained in use in the West by a number of surviving diplomatic representatives of the Republic of Estonia and by the Estonian government-in-exile. The readoption of the national symbols, which was finally achieved on 7 August 1990, marked one of the high points in the struggle for the restoration of an independent Estonian state. The use of the coat of arms is regulated by the Law on State Coat of Arms, passed on 6 April 1993.