05 November 2020
UNESCO World Heritage Nomination
[joint issue with French Andorra]
Issue date: 05/11/2020
Printing Process: Offset Lithography and Recess
Paper: Coated, gummed, phosphorescent, matte
Size of stamp: 40.85 x 33.2 mm (+ 2 bullets: 99.6 x 33.2 mm)
No. of stamps per sheet: 10 stamps + 10 vignettes of each motif
Postal value of the stamps: 2.40 €
Block print run: 60,000 stamps + 60,000 vignettes of each motif
The triptych “UNESCO World Heritage Application” consisting of a vignette “Cathedral of the Seu of Urgell”, a stamp at 2.40 euros “House of the Valleys” and a vignette “Castle of Foix” was issued on 5 November and printed according to a mixed-sweet-size process. The print run is 60,000 copies in sheets of 10 triptychs.
UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE CANDIDATURE. House of the Vall
La Casa de la Vall is one of the monuments that make up the candidacy presented by the Principality of Andorra for inclusion in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. A multinational candidacy, participated by France and Spain and led by the Principality, which seeks the recognition of a series of sites, scattered among the three countries, which have been key in the historical configuration of Andorra, a unique process within the history of the political and territorial constitution of Europe.
The issue consists of a main motif with the Casa de la Vall seal, which is made with the traditional burin intaglio procedure. In addition to the stamp, there are 2 vignettes reproducing two old engravings dedicated to the castle of Foix (France) and the cathedral of La Seu d’Urgell (Spain).
The candidacy also includes other enclaves of Andorra such as the churches of Sant Joan de Caselles, Sant Romà de les Bons, Sant Martí de la Cortinada, Sant Climent de Pal, Santa Coloma, Sant Serni de Nagol and Sant Miquel d’Engolasters, in addition from the Torre dels Moros de Encamp and the archaeological sites of El Roc d’Enclar and La Margineda.
The Casa de la Vall is the most representative monument of the candidacy as it is the headquarters of the General Council, originally known as the Consell de la Terra, the current parliament with the legislative power of the State.
The building originally belonged to the Busquets family, who built it in 1580 as certified by the shield that presides over the entrance. In 1702, the Consell General acquired the building where it established its headquarters and where it held the meetings of the representatives of the country’s parishes, as well as being the judicial headquarters. In 1962 the building was restored to adapt it to the new needs of the Consell until finally, in 2011, it could be moved to a new building, remaining as the historical headquarters of the Consell.