16 November 2020
Issue Date: 16 November 2020
Printing Method: Rotogravure on fluorescent paper
Format: 25.5 mm x 31.25 mm
Sheet Size: 100 stamps
Stamp design author: Agnieszka Sancewicz
On 16 November 2020, a postage stamp worth PLN 8.00 was put into circulation, i.e. “Christmas”.
The stamp depicts a miniature initial from the 1500 “Olbracht’s Missal”, a scene of the “Lord’s Sacrifice” from the collection of the Archdiocesan Archive in Gniezno. Along the bottom edge of the stamp there is the inscription: POLAND and a value of PLN 8, and along the top edge of the stamp there is a Christmas inscription.
Gniezno is a city in central-western Poland, about 50 kilometres (31 miles) east of Poznań, with 68,943 inhabitants making it the sixth-largest city in the Greater Poland Voivodeship. One of the Piast dynasty’s chief cities, it was the first historical capital of Poland in the 10th century and early 11th century, it was mentioned in 10th-century sources, possibly including the Dagome Iudex, as the capital of Piast Poland. The Roman Catholic archbishop of Gniezno is the primate of Poland, making it the country’s ecclesiastical capital. It has belonged since 1999 to the Greater Poland Voivodeship, and is the administrative seat of Gniezno County (powiat).
Gniezno’s Roman Catholic archbishop is traditionally the Primate of Poland (Prymas Polski). After the partitions of Poland the see was often combined with others, first with Poznań and then with Warsaw. In 1992 Pope John Paul II reorganized the Polish hierarchy and the city once again had a separate bishop. Cardinal Józef Glemp, who had been archbishop of Gniezno and Warsaw and retained Warsaw, was designated to remain Primate until his retirement, but afterward the Archbishop of Gniezno, at present Wojciech Polak, would again be Primate of Poland.
Gothic Gniezno Cathedral, one of the historically most important Polish churches, designated a Historic Monument of Poland; the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gniezno, which is the oldest archdiocese of Poland, founded in 1000. It contains the Gniezno Doors, one of the most important works of Romanesque art in Poland, as well as the coffin of Saint Adalbert of Prague.