31 July 2020
UPAEP — Architecture 2020
UPAEP-Architecture stamps 2020
Designed by: Elvis Tromp
Date of issue: July 31, 2020
Aruban Architecture consists of a combination of different influences from Europe, America and the region. Certain buildings are richly decorated and the influences are immediately recognizable. This combination of influences has resulted in an interesting whole.
90c: CROES HOUSE–1929-MONUMENTEN FONDS
Mr. Adisson Winfield Croes built this beautiful house in the twenties of the past age especially for his wife. Avenida Milio Croes (the former Fergusonstraat) was at the time still a dirt road, away from the city center. The family lived in the city during the week. When the children of the family were married and had children of their own, the house became a guesthouse for the grandchildren too.
The house was built by mister Dada Picus. The architecture shows clear influences of Latin American neo-baroque style. It is rich in building ornaments, tiled floors and colorful window glass.
It is designed after the example of elegant houses in Cartagena Colombia.
The house is set on a basement that was used as a storage place, and to put the rainwater tanks.
When Fergusonstraat was connected to the road leading to San Nicolas this became a very busy route, so the family decided to put the house for rent.
This beautiful house currently houses the Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba.
130c: ARUBA IINVESTMENT BANK BUILDING @ Wilhelminastraat # 36
This property shows the influence of Aruban houses, combined with modern architecture.
Aruba Investment Bank (AIB) is housed here.
220c: NICOLAAS STORE
This monument was built around 1940 and it consisted only of the ground floor and served as a store where they sold books, instruments, newspapers, gifts etc. Later on the first floor was constructed and became the house where the owner lived with his family. The Nicolaas Store was a very popular store at that time. The building has been empty for about 20 years.
Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba bought the Nicolaas Store building from the Nicolaas family in August 2013. After restoring the building to its former glory, the Nicolaas Store will house the Community Museum.
To realize this project Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba worked together with Monumentenbureau Aruba and Nationaal Restauratiefonds Nederland. The restoration started on August 24, 2015 and on September 2, 2016 the project was completely finished.
Source: www.Monumenten Fonds Aruba
420c: NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM ARUBA
Renovated in 1929
These buildings are a special mix of traditional late nineteenth century Aruban houses. They show influences from Curacao, but are also reminiscent of influences from the south of the United States.
In the late 1980’s AMA identified its need for an adequate housing for its collection and activities. After studying various options, a project proposal was drawn up, including the acquisition and restoration of historical buildings in downtown Oranjestad.
These historical buildings were formerly the property of the Ecury family. The “Ecury Complex”, is a cluster of single and two-story historic buildings, mainly Dutch colonial architecture from the late 19th and 20th century on a plot of approximately 1.700 m2.
In 1997 the Aruban Government bought the complex for the National Archaeological Museum project. In 2004 a financial agreement was signed with the European Development Fund and in 2006 restauration and construction work began on the monumental buildings and the new to build exhibition space. In December 2007 the key to the complex was delivered and the museum’s employees moved to the new location. The final design for the exhibit was completed in November 2007 and the permanent exhibit, financed by the Aruban Government and the Union of Cultural Organizations (UNOCA), opened in July 2009.
At the new location the National Archaeological Museum Aruba (NAMA) disposes of approximately 500 m2 for its permanent exhibit. This exhibit conveys through archaeological objects and modern exhibition techniques information on the origin and culture of the first inhabitants of the island. The new permanent exhibit gives the visitor an insight into the cultures that inhabited the island in Pre-Historical and Early Historical times. The museum also hosts an attractive public program including lectures, educational projects, temporary exhibits and workshops.
The NAMA is located at Schelpstraat 42 in downtown Oranjestad.