21 May 2020
Issued on: 2020-05-21
Size: 42 x 30 mm, 30 x 42 mm
Printing: Offset lithography
€0.10 Historical Archive of Crete Centenary
The Historical Archive of Crete was founded in 1920, as a regional department of the General Archives of the State. The Archive is housed in a neoclassical building in Chania, where it maintains its headquarters. Today, the Historical Archive of Crete comprises the largest regional historical Archive of the Country, aiming at the collection, protection and research of archives and relics related to the Cretan history.
The over 200 archive collections of the Institute include about 1.000.000 public and private documents from 1821 to date. Of particular historical significance are:
- The documents referring to the Cretan revolutions against the Ottoman and Egyptian occupation in the second half of the 19th century until the integration of Crete in the Greek State after the second Balkan War in 1913.
- The private correspondence of leading personalities of the military and political history of Crete.
- The official archives of the Ottoman administration, as well as of the Autonomous Cretan State (1898-1913).
- The archive related to the Second World War, a valuable source for the period of the German occupation and the heroic resistance of the local population.
Another section comprises the complete record of Cretan Press, which includes rare printed papers, such as the “Vakai Girit” (“The Voice of Crete”), the first newspaper printed on the island in 1831 by the Egyptian authorities. It’ s worth mentioning that the newspaper was printed in both languages, namely Greek and Arabic.
The archival material is complemented by a rich photographical collection, as well as by a specialized library with approximately 10.000 titles of books, among them some rare editions. A valuable addition is also the folklore archive of Pavlos Vlastos.
Within the Historical Archive premises is also housed a museum, open to the public, with a significant historical and folklore collection.
€0.90 University of Athens Agricultural School Centenary
The Agricultural University of Athens (AUA; Γεωπονικό Πανεπιστήμιο Αθηνών) is the third oldest university in Greece. Since 1920, it has made contributions to Greek agricultural and economic development, by conducting basic and applied research in Agricultural Science and Technology.
The university is situated in the neighborhood of Votanikos, on a 25-hectare green campus that straddles both sides of the historic Iera Odos (the Sacred Way of antiquity), close to the Acropolis, at the heart of the ancient Olive Grove.
The university is located on the alluvial plain of the Kifisos river. It is bordered by Kavalas avenue and Spyrou Patsi Street. To its east lies the ancient cemetery of Kerameikos and to the west was the location of Plato’s olive, whose remains are exhibited inside the main building of the University. The site is split in two by the Iera Odos (Sacred Way) which connects Athens and Eleusis.
Its buildings comprise a great number of auditoriums and laboratories, a library, computer rooms, agricultural facilities (arboretum, vineyard, experimental fields, flower garden, greenhouses, cowshed, sheep pen, chicken coop, dairy installations, and aquaculture tanks), museums, student center, indoor gym, and sports fields.
The plain where the university is located was created by the perioding flooding of the Kifisos river. In antiquity the district of Elaionas (olive grove in Greek) where the university is located was considered among the healthiest of Athens. The largest part of the site where the university is located was appropriated by Hadji Ali Haseki, an 18th-century Ottoman ruler of Athens and used as his personal farm. From his time survives one building on the University which is one of the very few of that time that still stands in Athens, though not in its original condition.
After the 1821 revolution the plot was confiscated along with the rest of Turkish property of Greece and became the Ruf National Farm. In 1888, after the national benefactor Triantifillides donated money to create three post-secondary schools of Agriculture, one of them was created on the site. By some this is considered as the founding of the university. Others though consider 1920 as the founding date, when the Athens College of Agriculture was founded by law submitted to parliament by Eleftherios Venizelos. No matter which date is used it is still the third oldest university of Greece, after the University of Athens and the National Technical University of Athens.
€1.00 University of Athens School of Economics Centenary
Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB; Οικονομικό Πανεπιστήμιο Αθηνών, Oikonomiko Panepistimio Athinon, abbrev. ΟΠΑ, OPA) was founded in 1920 in Athens, Greece. Before 1989, the university was known in Greek as the Supreme School of Economics and Business (Ανωτάτη Σχολή Οικονομικών και Εμπορικών Επιστημών, Anotati Scholi Oikonomikon kai Emborikon Epistimon, abbrev. ΑΣΟΕΕ, ASOEE). Though the university of business’s official name has changed, it is still known popularly in Greek by this former acronym.
The Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) was founded in 1920 under the name of Athens School of Commercial Studies. It was renamed in 1926 as the Athens School of Economics and Business, a name that was retained until 1989 when it assumed its present name, the Athens University of Economics and Business.
It is the oldest university in Greece in the fields of Economics and Business, its roots tracing to the establishment of a Merchant Academy in Athens. Up to 1955 the school offered only one degree in the general area of economics and commerce. In 1955 the duration of study at the School is increased from three to four years and two cycles of study leading to two separate degrees: one in economics and the other in business administration. In 1984 the school was divided into three departments, namely the Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Statistics and Business Informatics, the latter renamed to the Informatics Department in 1995.
In 1989, the university expanded to six departments. From 1999 onwards, the university developed even further and nowadays it includes eight academic departments, offering eight undergraduate degrees, 28 master’s degrees and an equivalent number of doctoral programs.
Its buildings are housed on Patision Street.
€1.00 Military Officers Academy 50th Anniversary
The Hellenic Corps Military Officers Academy (Στρατιωτική Σχολή Αξιωματικών Σωμάτων) is the Officer corps school of the Greek Army.
The Hellenic Military Academy was created to provide officers for all the Arms of the Hellenic Army (Infantry, Armour, Artillery, Signals, Engineering, and Army Aviation), as well as some of the Corps (the Technical Corps, the Transport and Supply Corps, and the Ordnance Corps). By contrast, officers in the Legal Corps, the Medical Corps, the Finance Corps, and the Auditing Corps are graduates of the Corps Officers Military Academy, with the exception of nurse officers in the Medical Corps, who are graduates of the Nurse Officer Academy (Σχολή Αξιωματικών Νοσηλευτών). The School also trains cadets on behalf of foreign allied countries.