28 August 2020
Landmarks Of Our Coasts (booklet stamps)
Issue Date: 28 August 2020
General sale date: Monday, August 31, 2020
Face value: €13.92 See fares as of August 31, 2020
Postage of 12 priority letters up to 20g for France, Monaco, Andorra and postal sectors (army)
Tape-book with vertical self-stick stamps – Serration : 11
Total dimensions: 256×54 mm
Colors In: polychrome
Printed in heliography 12 stamps per stamp book per book
Two phosphorescent bands
Issued to 3,000,000 copies
Designed by Yves Montron
Featured by Corinne Salvi
A Bit of History
For the second year in a row La Poste invites you to discover twelve other lighthouses through this stamp book. There are 150 large lighthouses on the French coast, metropolis and overseas, 25 of which are in the open sea. Thanks to their automated lighting in recent years, lighthouses are guides for those at sea. The 28-metre-high Lighthouse in Cayeux de Cayeux-sur-Mer, south of the Somme Bay, between Cayeux and the Hourdel, is served by the “white road” between the dunes.
The 30-metre-high Grand Lejon Lighthouse is located at sea 9 miles (about 16.5 km) off Saint-Quay-Portrieux in the Côtes d’Armor. It indicates the entrance to the bay of Saint-Brieuc. The 47-metre-high Creasing Lighthouse was built on the island of Ushant, one of the Ponant Islands, and is the most powerful in Europe. Its two superimposed lanterns emit a light signal of eight beams with a range of about 60 kilometers. The 37-metre-high Saint Mathieu Lighthouse is located on St. Matthew’s Point in Plougonvelin, near Brest, in the Finistère. This tower is a major lighthouse on the French coast with a theoretical range of 29 nautical miles (about 55 km). The Lighthouse of the Old one of a height of 27 meters illuminates and secures the dangerous passage of the raz de Sein, It is located in the raz de Sein less than a nautical mile west of the point of the Raz on the commune of Plogoff it owes its fame to its isolated situation at sea in a restless area. The 60-metre-high Eckmohl Lighthouse is a maritime lighthouse located on the tip of Saint-Pierre, in Penmarc’h, Finistère. It secures one of the most dangerous coasts in France because of its many reefs. The 23-metre-high Lighthouse of the Crusader Four is recognizable by its spiral pattern, which serves as a bitter (a fixed and identifiable landmark used for maritime navigation). The 52-metre-high Cape Ferret Lighthouse consists of a truncated tower in smooth white masonry and upper part painted red, adjoining a rectangular building housing the engine room, elevator and dwellings. The Lighthouse of Espiguette is a square tower with a height of 27 meters, located in the department of Gard on the commune of Grau-du-Roi. The Lighthouse of the Sanguinaires, 18.50 metres high, dominates the highest point of the Great Sanguinaire, the main island of the Sanguinaires archipelago. It is 18 km west of Ajaccio. It marks the southwestern coast of Corsica and the entrance to the Gulf of Ajaccio. The Bel Air Lighthouse, 20.25 metres high, is the first and last lighthouse on Reunion Island. It was designed to prevent shipwrecks on the island’s dangerous coasts and has long served as a reference point for sailors seeking to reach the harbour of Saint-Denis. The 14-metre-high Caravelle Lighthouse is a lighthouse located in the commune of La Trinidad on the east coast of Martinique. Located at the top of a basaltic peak it rises to 162.55 m above the sea, making it the tallest lighthouse in France despite its modest size.
© – The Post Office – All Rights Reserved
According to Phil@Poste’s press release
Lighthouse of Grand Lejon
The Lighthouse of the Grand Léjon is located at sea 9 miles (about 16.5 km) off Saint-Quay-Portrieux in the Côtes-d’Armor, at the southern end of the Grand Léjon plateau. It indicates the entrance to the bay of Saint-Brieuc.
The lighthouse was built in two stages. From 1859 to 1862, a first truncated tower was erected in masonry, in order to receive a fire. During the construction of 1860, a blade more than five metres high overturned one of the boats on the construction site. The two men on board, two brothers from the Bougeard family, aged 30 and 15, drowned. The administration of the lighthouses and beacons asked that their widowed mother, for whom they were in charge, be allocated an allowance of 300 francs for her two sons and 1,500 francs for the lost boat.
In 1879, work was undertaken on the enhancement. On June 20, 1881, the fire was lit at the top of the now 23.40 m high turret to carry fire and shelter the guards.
In 1888, an audible signal was installed at the request of the sailors. Indeed, the light signal was ineffective in foggy weather.
Lighthouse of Saint-Mathieu
The Saint-Mathieu lighthouse is located on St. Matthew’s Point in Plougonvelin, near Brest, in the Finistère. This tower, built in 1835 in the ruins of an ancient abbey, is a major lighthouse of the French coast whose theoretical range is 29 nautical miles (about 55 km).
Along with Kermorvan’s, it gives the direction of the Four Channel, which was followed by ships transiting a north-south axis before the creation of the Ushant rail, while its alignment with the Portzic lighthouse gives the way to enter the Brest Gully.
The lighthouse has been classified as a historic monument since May 23, 2011.
Lighthouse of Eckmohl
The lighthouse is a sea lighthouse located on the tip of Saint-Pierre, in Penmarc’h, in the Finistère region of France. It is more than 60 metres high. It was inaugurated on October 17, 1897 and owes its name to the nobility of the donor who largely financed it. It secures one of the most dangerous coasts in France because of its many reefs.
Its walls are entirely built of Kersanton stone and the inner wall of its stairwell is covered with opaline
plates. Today it is one of the most visited monuments in Finistère.
The lighthouse has been listed as a historic monument since September 26, 2005 and has been listed since May 23, 2011.
Lighthouse of Cape Ferret
The Lighthouse of Cap-Ferret consists of a truncated tower in smooth white masonry and upper part painted red, adjoining a rectangular building housing the engine room, elevator and dwellings.
Built in 1840, it was destroyed in 1944 during the Occupation. Rebuilt in 1947, it has been automated since 1995.
The lighthouse has been listed as a historic monument since November 6, 2009.
Lighthouse of the Caravelle
The Pointe de la Caravelle lighthouse is a lighthouse located in the commune of La Trinidad on the east coast of Martinique. It is located at the end of the Caravelle peninsula, now a nature reserve dependent on the Martinique Regional Natural Park. Located at the top of a basaltic peak it rises to 162.55 m above the sea, making it the tallest lighthouse in France despite its modest size.
It was commissioned in 1862 and has not been kept since its automation in 1970.
Lighthouse of the Sanguinaire Islands
The lighthouse of the Sanguinaire Islands or lighthouse of the Gulf of Ajaccio dominates the highest point of the Great Sanguinaire, the main island of the Sanguinaires archipelago. It is 18 km west of Ajaccio. It marks the southwestern coast of Corsica and the entrance to the Gulf of Ajaccio.
island’s illumination program had not been studied in 1825 by Augustin Fresnel.
It was in 1838 that it was decided to install 5 first-rate lighthouses to encircle the island. The lighthouse of the Sanguinaires will be the first built before that of Pertusato. Commissioned in January 1870, the current lighthouse follows a fire lit in December 1844. Its construction is followed by those of the Chiappa in the south, the Lighthouse of Revellata in the west and that of the Giraglia in the north.
Commissioned in 1870, the current lighthouse consists of a square tower of smooth masonry, centered on a rectangular building of medieval appearance — with Viollet-le-Duc, such a style was then in fashion.
It has been automated since 1984 and guarding was abolished in 1985.
Lighthouse of Cayeux
The lighthouse of Cayeux is located on the commune of Cayeux-sur-Mer, south of the Bay of Somme, between Cayeux and the Hourdel, it is served by the “white road” between the dunes.
- From 1770 to 1780, a fixed light was present, consisting of a coal crucible on a 9 m turret. In 1797, the turret was equipped with a lantern of five oil lamps and parabolic reflectors, which were extinguished in 1835.
- On December 1, 1835, a new equipment on a 27 m metal tower, over a house, 80 m southeast of the old site, was lit. A new lantern was re-equipped in 1892.
- The lighthouse was destroyed on 31 August 1944 by German troops, along with the old southern lighthouse.
- A temporary fire was put into service on April 25, 1947, pending the construction of the current lighthouse.
- In September 1951, the ignition took place on a cylindrical tower made of reinforced concrete and brick, built in the style of the old lighthouse, according to the plans of the architects Cahon and Barrère de Saint-Valery-sur-Somme.
Lighthouse of the Creac’h
The Creac’h lighthouse was built in 1863 on the island of Ushant, one of the Ponant Islands. At a height of 47 meters, it is the most powerful in Europe. Its two superimposed lanterns emit a light signal of eight beams with a range of about 60 kilometers.
The lighthouse is the subject of a classification as historical monuments by decree of May 23, 2011.
Lighthouse of the Old
The lighthouse of the Old is a maritime lighthouse of Finistère (France) built from 1882 to 1887 on the rock of Gorlebella (“the furthest rock” in Breton).
It brightens and secures the dangerous passage of the sein raz, together with the turret of the Plate (west cardinal). It is located in the raz de Sein less than a nautical mile west of the raz point on the commune of Plogoff and belongs to the French state.
The “Hell” of the Old One owes its fame to its isolated location at sea in a restless area. Moreover, it stands out for its rich history and history: between feasibility studies and the first ignition, it took nearly ten years for its construction. When it was automated in 1995, the guards in place refused to take over in protest.
It was inscribed as a historical monument by decree of 31 December 2015 On the proposal of the National Commission of Historic Monuments, the Minister of Culture and Communication, on 20 April 2017, classified the old lighthouse as a historic monument.
Lighthouse of the Crusader Four
The lighthouse of the Four Plateau or lighthouse of the Four of the Croisic is a lighthouse 23 meters high which is located off the French coast, west of the Croisic and south of Brittany.
Built on the Four Plateau, its construction began in 1816 and was completed in 1821 for commissioning in January 1822.
Its spiral pattern serves as a bitter (Contis lighthouse is another example in France). In 1946, it was raised by 6 meters.
Its automation was carried out in 1983. It is remotely controlled and not guarded.
The lighthouse was inscribed as a historical monument by decree of November 29, 2011 and was classified by decree of October 3, 2012.
The Bel-Air Lighthouse is a lighthouse on Reunion Island, a French overseas department in the southwestern Indian Ocean. Located on the east coast of the island, on the territory of the commune of Sainte-Suzanne, it is the subject of a classification under the title of Historic Monuments in 2012 after being registered on June 16, 1997. The architect of the lighthouse is Eugene Diomat.
Built in 1845, the Bel-Air Lighthouse is the first and last lighthouse on Reunion.
Island. Measuring 20.25 meters high, it was designed to avoid shipwrecks on the island’s dangerous coasts and has long served as a reference point for sailors seeking to reach the harbour of Saint-Denis.
Currently painted white and red high, it now houses the Sainte-Suzanne Intercommunal Tourist Office, managed by the Intercommunal Community of Northern Reunion. The former office accommodation, with staff room and engine room, has become a place of exhibitions and visits.
Lighthouse of the Espiguette
The Espiguette lighthouse is a 27-metre high square tower, located in the Gard department and in the Occitanie region.
The lighthouse is built on the commune of Grau-du-Roi, in the south of the Gard, in Petite Camargue gardoise and on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea.
The tip of the Espiguette, on which the lighthouse is located, is managed by the Coastal Conservatory; since December 10, 1998, it has been a classified natural site.
The Espiguette lighthouse was built in 1869. Initially it was 150 m from the shore. Today it is about 700 m away, following the fattening of the coast by the sand deposited by the currents.