31 March 2020
Museums of Portugal Centenary (Series II)
12 x N20g stamps – 12 x 100 000
Paper: FSC 110g / m2
Size of Stamps: 40 x 30.6 mm
Perforation: 12 ¼ x 12 and Cruz de Cristo
Printer: bpost Philately & Stamps Printing
Sheets: With 50 ex.
Museu de São Roque
The São Roque Museum, also called the São Roque Sacred Art Museum, is attached to the São Roque Church , in Lisbon and has a collection of sacred art from the estate of Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Lisboa .
The museum opened with a public presentation of the art collection of the Santa Casa, which took place in 1898, the year that marked the arrival of Vasco da Gama in India and the 400th anniversary of the institution. On this occasion, only the implements and vestments of the treasure of the Chapel of São João Batista, commissioned by D. João V to Rome for the Church of São Roque, were presented.
Later, Santa Casa prepared a permanent exhibition not only of the chapel’s treasure, but also of the most relevant works of the institution’s artistic heritage . For this purpose, some rooms of the old house of the Companhia de Jesus were chosen, rooms attached to the temple that since 1783 were the place where the National Lottery was conducted. The museum opened in 1905.
A a process of remodeling and enhancing its collections began in the 1960s which resulted in its reopening to the public in 1968. In 1992 , remodeling works were carried out so that it could accommodate even more pieces, among which are examples of painting , sculpture and jewelery from the mid-16th century to 1768, a period that corresponds to the Jesuits staying in the church and the former Casa Professa de São Castling.
National Coach Museum
The National Coach Museum (Museu Nacional dos Coches) is located on the Afonso de Albuquerque Square in the Belém district of Lisbon in Portugal. The museum has one of the finest collections of historical carriages in the world and is one of the most visited museums of the city.
The museum is housed in the Royal Riding Hall of Belém, the former home of the Portuguese School of Equestrian Art. It is part of the larger Belém Palace complex, formerly a Royal Palace which is now the official residence of the President of Portugal. The Horse Riding Area was built after 1787 following the Neoclassical design of Italian architect Giacomo Azzolini. Several Portuguese artists decorated the interior of the building with paintings and tile (azulejo) panels. The inner arena is 50 m long and 17 m wide, and was used for training horses and for horse riding exhibitions and games, which could be watched from its balconies by the Portuguese royal family.
The museum was created in 1905 by Queen Amélia to house an extensive collection of carriages belonging to the Portuguese royal family and nobility. The collection gives a full picture of the development of carriages from the late 16th through the 19th centuries, with carriages made in Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, Austria and England.
Among its rarest items is a late 16th/early 17th-century travelling coach used by King Philip II of Portugal (Philip III of Spain) to come from Spain to Portugal in 1619. There are also several pompous Baroque 18th century carriages decorated with paintings and exuberant gilt woodwork, the most impressive of these being a ceremonial coach given by Pope Clement XI to King John V in 1715, and the three coaches of the Portuguese embassador to Pope Clement XI, built in Rome in 1716.
Museu Francisco Tavares Proença Júnior
The Francisco Tavares Proença Júnior Museum is located in the former Episcopal Palace of Castelo Branco in the parish of Castelo Branco in Portugal .
It is installed in the building of the old Bishop’s Palace of the Bishop of Guarda, built in 1596 on the initiative of D. Nuno de Noronha. Behind this building are the Jardins do Paço Episcopal, an example of excellence in the art of gardening in the Baroque period. The museum was founded in 1910 by Francisco Tavares Proença Junior at the Capuchos Convent of Castelo Branco.
In 1971, the Museum and its collection were transferred to the building of the former Paço Episcopal, where it has remained since. In 2010, the museum celebrated its 100th anniversary with the exhibition “… E Tudo É Mar Português”, a collection of works by Portuguese artists who were born or lived in Castelo Branco.
The institution’s collection includes archaeological findings, tapestries of the sixteenth century and primitive Portuguese art. Castelo Branco is famous for its embroidered silk bedspreads, of which there are also some examples in the museum .
Machado de Castro National Museum
The National Museum Machado de Castro is an art museum in Coimbra, Portugal, named after the renowned Portuguese sculptor Joaquim Machado de Castro. It first opened in 1913 and its latest renovation (2004-2012), which included the addition of a new building, was awarded the Piranesi/Prix de Rome Prize 2014.
The Machado de Castro Museum is one of the most important art museums in Portugal. It is housed in the former Bishop’s Palace. This palace was built from the Middle Ages onwards roughly on the site where the Roman forum of Aeminium (Coimbra’s Roman name) once stood. The remains of this distant past, the Cryptoporticus, can be visited on the lower floors of the museum.
National Museum of Contemporary Art
The National Museum of Contemporary Art (Chiado Museum, Museu Nacional de Arte Contemporânea do Chiado – MNAC) is an art museum located in the Chiado neighbourhood of Lisbon, Portugal. It was created in 1911 and re-inaugurated, in new installations, in 1994.
The museum covers the period between 1850 and 1950, with works by the foremost Portuguese artists of the period, as well as some foreigners. It holds the best collection of Portuguese painting and sculpture from the Romanticism, Naturalism, and Modern periods.
Among the artists represented are António Silva Porto, António Carneiro, António Soares dos Reis, Miguel Ângelo Lupi, Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro, Amadeo de Souza Cardoso, Abel Manta, Dórdio Gomes, Adriano Sousa Lopes, José de Almada Negreiros, Nadir Afonso, Mário Eloy, Francisco Augusto Metrass, Auguste Rodin, and many others. The museum also hosts temporary exhibitions.
Since 1911, the Chiado Museum has occupied part of the old Convent of São Francisco (Saint Francis) in Lisbon, a building of mediaeval origin. The 1994 adaptation and renovation of the museum areas were done by French architect Jean-Michel Wilmotte.
The Monastery of Jesus (1465–1874), currently called the Museum of Aveiro, is located in the parish of Glória in Aveiro , Portugal. It was a monastery of the female Dominican Order and is today an important museum, with a diverse collection with a particular focus on thematic art or sacred function. The building has been classified as a National Monument since 1910.
The Portrait of Princess Saint Joana is a painting by Portuguese Renaissance artist Nuno Gonçalves. It was painted during the time when Joan, Princess of Portugal was regent for her father, Afonso V of Portugal.
National Museum Frei Manuel do Cenáculo
The Évora Museum was officially created in 1915 and went through several vicissitudes until it was permanently installed in the old Archiepiscopal Palace (late 16th century and early 17th century). Its historical origins are linked to the collections gathered by Frei Manuel do Cenáculo Vilas Boas and much added with artistic values coming from the extinct religious houses and private donations. Underwent a thorough renovation in 1940, under the guidance of Teacher Mário Chicó, with the following sections being valued: archaeology, architecture, sculpture, epigraphy, heraldry, goldsmithing, decorative arts and painting.
Museum do Abçal de Baçal
Set in a restored 18th-century bishop’s palace, this is one of Portugal’s best regional museums. Its diverse collections include local artifacts from the Celtic and Roman eras, along with objects, paintings and photographs depicting daily life in Trás-os-Montes from medieval times to the present.
Of particular interest are the handful of Iron Age stone pigs called berrões. The museum also features works by Portuguese naturalist painter Aurélia de Sousa and her contemporaries, as well as Christian pieces from India, which depict Jesus in a style highly influenced by Hindu and Buddhist art.
D. Diogo de Sousa Archeology Museum
The D. Diogo de Sousa Museum is located in Braga, Portugal. It was founded in 1918 and moved to new quarters on 29 June 2007, housed in a specially designed building in the center of what was the Roman City of Bracara Augusta.
Its collection mostly comprises items from excavations that took place in Braga with a vast chronological and cultural period, from the Palaeolithic to the Middle Ages.
Grão Vasco National Museum, Viseu
The Grão Vasco Museum is an art museum located in the city of Viseu, in Portugal. The museum is named after one of the most important Portuguese painters of the Renaissance, Vasco Fernandes (also known as the Grão Vasco), who had his workshop in Viseu.
The museum, founded in 1916, occupies the building of the old Seminary, located beside Viseu Cathedral. The building, began in the late 16th century in Mannerist style, has had its interior recently modernized by Porto architect Eduardo Souto de Moura.
The main exhibits of the museum are the painted altarpieces executed for Viseu Cathedral during the Renaissance. These include the main altarpiece, executed by a workshop that included the young Vasco Fernandes and was apparently led by Francisco Henriques, as well as later altarpieces by a mature Vasco Fernandes and his collaborator, Gaspar Vaz. The artistic significance of these altarpieces turn the Grão Vasco Museum into one of the most important art museums in Portugal.
The collections also include metalwork, tapestry and sculpture.
Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro Museum
On Campo Grande, the Bordalo Pinheiro Museum collects elements of the life and work of Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro, one of Portugal’s most iconic cartoonists.
Opening in 1916, the Museum houses over three thousand prints, 900 photographs and 1200 ceramic pieces inspired by popular culture and society, and sets itself as the ideal space for everyone who likes Bordalo Pinheiro’s unmistakable features.
The Bordalo Pinheiro Museum has a permanent exhibition split into several hubs and galleries, each with a different focus: self-portraits, ‘Zé Povinho’, and ceramics.
Lamego’s regional museum sits within the walls of the 18th century Episcopal palace and contains some of the finest examples of religious art to be found anywhere in Portugal. Much of the collection was built up over the centuries by the Bishops of Lamego but since the episcopal palace became the museum there have been many new additions.
Among the highlights on exhibit are a number of religious paintings by Vasco Fernandes, or Grão Vasco as he was commonly known. The 16th century paintings were commissioned to form part of the altarpiece in the cathedral. Originally there were 20 panels, but today only 5 survive.
The other main attraction at Lamego’s museum is the collection of Flemish tapestries which also date back to the Renaissance period. These stunning tapestries feature scenes from Greek mythology and religious themes such as ‘Judgement in Paradise’.
Also of interest are the wonderfully ornate Baroque gilded wood chapel interiors that were rescued from the Chagas Convent. These wooden panels have been re-assembled to create the complete chapels within the museum.
First Day Covers:
Centenary Museums of Portugal – Volume 2
In the survey of the main museums that, in Portugal, marked their centenary until 2018, the writer Cristina Cordeiro and the photographer Manuel Aguiar elected twenty-five of these mansions to know that, despite the frights experienced, they have always reinvented themselves, and continue to dedicate themselves. research, conservation and dissemination of collections with undeniable cultural, historical or scientific value.
The visit, which began in 2019 with the entry into thirteen centuries-old Portuguese museums, concludes in 2020, with the launch of the second volume, and the tour of another twelve museum spaces, born between 1905 and 1918, which hold enormous wealth and, certainly, several stories to tell.
Bilingual edition, with a circulation limited to 4000 numbered copies and with the same issue, consisting of 12 stamps.
Autora: Cristina Cordeiro
Fotógrafo. Manuel Aguiar
Design: AF Atelier
Tradução: Mick Greer
Revisão: Graça Margarido
Impressão e acabamento: Futuro Publicidade, Lda.
Valor facial: 12 selos da emissão homónima no valor de € 6,36
Tiragem limitada e numerada: 4 000 exemplares