05 March 2020
Solothurn Town 2000th Anniversary
Between 15 and 25 AD, the Romans built a connecting road from Aventicum (Avenches) to Vindonissa (Windisch). Where it crossed the River Aare, they built a settlement which they named “Salodurum”. This historical event marks the birth of the town of Solothurn. The special stamp sheetlet shows a photo taken from the River Aare, which is a transport route and the lifeline of the city. The stamp itself is designed as an illustration and shows St Ursus Cathedral, built between 1762 and 1773, with its imposing tower and its onion dome. The tower is 6 × 11 m high and houses 11 bells. The history of the town is inextricably linked to the number 11: Solothurn is listed as the 11th state in the Swiss Confederation and it is home to 11 churches and chapels, 11 fountains and 11 towers. The list goes on with 11 guilds, 11 bailiwicks, 11 canons and 11 chaplains. The number 11 is represented on the special stamp, with 11 fish in the River Aare. You can also see the town coat of arms, as well as the local mountain in the background, the Weissenstein mountain with its health resort.