First things, first: My hometown football team, the Kansas City Chiefs, won the conference championship earlier this week and are due to play in the Super Bowl for the first time in 50 years! I am excited and cannot wait until game day (2 February 2020).
As I write this, it is about 5:00 in the morning of Chinese New Year’s Day. The internet connection is spotty and super-slow but hopefully will improve as the day goes on. Internet is one of the things that truly suffers during holidays in this part of the world.
On to the stamps… Thus, we have arrived at the last week of the first month of 2020. Coverage on Philatelic Pursuits has been fairly successful for New Issues from European nations as well as much of North America. Asia, Africa, South and Central America, and Oceania is quite spotty.
I am surprised in that I have found images for nearly all of the stamps listed on this site. Most are fairly good quality but several are extremely low resolution. I am constantly on the lookout for better-quality stamp photos and usually find them on eBay or various Facebook groups after the release dates. Real scans are always better than pre-issue publicity images. I am contemplating making a end-of-month wrap-up article with thumbnails of all the January 2020 stamps listed in one spot. The problem as always is time or the lack thereof.
One of the duties of my job as Deputy Head Teacher for a large agency is that sometimes I get called upon to leave my office and cover classes for a teacher who is absent for whatever reason. Usually, there is no advance notice. I may have planned an eight-hour day of organizing stamp information and updating this site only to have to set all of that aside and go to one of our contracted schools and face classrooms of up to 60 very loud children for a few hours. By the time I return home, I am usually too exhausted to do anything but eat dinner and go to sleep. So, backlogs occur.
The end of the school year in Thai government schools is late February or early March. I will have two months of not much to do other than to keep abreast of the New Issues and report them as there will be no classes to go and cover and very few private tutoring or other tasks in the office.
The Stamps of 2020: Week Five
27 January 2020
- Belgium — Bob and Bobette, 75th Anniversary
- Belgium — The Iconic Stamps from Belgium
- Belgium — Geometry in Nature: The Pentagonal Form
- Poland — Lunar New Year: Year of the Rat
- Poland — Liberation of Auschwitz 75th Anniversary
- Philosateleia — World Local Post Day: End of World War II 75th Anniversary
- Phuketia — World Local Post Day: End of World War II 75th Anniversary
28 January 2020
- Austria — Youth Art in Austria — Georg Haberler, “Untitled (LP01)”
- Estonia — Discovery of Antarctica Bicentennial (joint issue with Russia)
- Japan — National Parks
- Romania — Polar Fauna
29 January 2020
- Estonia — Tartu Peace Treaty Centenary
30 January 2020
- Gibraltar — Lunar New Year — Year of the Rat
- Ireland — Love And Marriage
- United States — Black Heritage Series — Gwen Iffil
31 January 2020
- Canada — Black History Month — “Colored Hockey Championship”
- Lithuania — Red Book of Lithuania Birds
- Slovenia — Prominent Personalities
- Slovenia — Greetings Stamp — Love
- Slovenia — Lunar New Year — Year of the Rat
- Slovenia — Architecture in Slovenia — Municipal Savings Bank, Ljubljana
- Slovenia — Contemporary Arts and Crafts in Slovenia — Contemporary Metal Design
- Slovenia — Memorandum on Nature Conservation Centenary