The past week has been extremely busy, mostly catching up on stamp issues missed upon the initial announcement or lack thereof. After seeing it listed first on eBay and then on Colnect, I have recently added the Israeli helicopter ATM-vended postage released on 1 January as well as a huge number of stamps issued by the French Southern and Antarctic Lands on 2 January; they issue all of their stamps for the entire year on a single day and they are on sale for two years after that.
I have recently passed the 80-entity mark on this site (although not all of these have an associated 2020 stamp issued…yet). It is a far cry from the estimated 230 stamp-issuers who released stamps in 2019 but I am making progress. Postal authority websites are a mixed bag — some offer a wealth of information in multiple languages along with good-quality images while others do not cater to philatelists at all or once did but have not been updated in many years. I am considering writing reviews of some of the truly user-friendly sited but that may have to wait until this year is over. When would I find the time?
The week of 12 to 18 January seems a bit light as there are relatively fewer issues scheduled than Weeks One or Two saw. There is also a higher degree of design images or information not found. For example, Canada Post announced its first few issues as far back as last September but has not revealed anything further since then. I prefer the Australia Post model of providing extensive pages on its website about a week prior to the release dates with “Coming Soon” or “Pre-Order Now” notices rather than not even mentioning the forthcoming stamps until (I presume) the first day of issue. Since Canada Post tends to sell a great many products with almost every release, I am dreading those items “going live” this coming Monday (13 January) when the annual Far and Away and Lunar New Year sets appear. I am anticipating hours of late-night work as I adapt that information to the Philatelic Pursuits format. The relevant posts WILL be updated; it is just a matter of time so keep checking back for favorite issues.
With that said, let’s get to the stamps of Week Three:
The Stamps of 2020: Week Three
13 January 2020
- Canada — From Far And Wide (Series 3)
- Canada — Lunar New Year (Series 2, Issue 12) — “Rat’s Wedding”
14 January 2020
- Estonia — Supreme Court Centenary
- Norfolk Island — Early Botanical Art
- Spain — Wonders of the Modern World — Petra
15 January 2020
16 January 2020
- Austria — Salzburg Festival Centenary
- Austria — EU Accession 25th Anniversary
- Austria — Austrian Inventions: Radio Guidance System by Hedy Lamarr
- Austria — Youth Art in Austria: Georg Haberler, “Untitled (LP01)”
17 January 2020
- Belarus — Lunar New Year — Year of the Rat
- France — Chinese New Year — Year of the Rat
- Lithuania — Symbols of the Lithuanian State: Historic Paper Banknotes