With 2020 just 34 hours away as I write this in southern Thailand, there are eleven stamp-issuing entities set to release a total of 59 stamps, five postal cards, 2 single-stamp souvenir sheets, one multi-stamp miniature sheet and more during the first four days of the New Year. I am certain I will learn of others sometime later. Last year, the philatelic agency representing the African nation of Chad unleashed dozens of stamps and mini-sheets on New Year’s Day all of which I discovered through listings on the eBay auction site.
To date, Great Britain has not revealed even the subject matter for its 2020 Stamp Programme in sharp contrast with 2019. You may recall that the design for one of the announced stamps for the D-Day 75th anniversary set included a major error in design and had to be recalled. Perhaps Royal Mail is taking extra time this year for fact-checking.
While the issue dates for each stamp release for the year is added to my Google Calendar as I discover them, I will also include weekly summary articles throughout the year. These will list the scheduled stamps that I have information on with a link to the relevant article that includes images, etc.
If you are reading this, then you have discovered that I have switched the Philatelic Pursuits blog to a self-hosted dot com site. I am still tinkering with bits and pieces (the most noticeable of which is a visual redesign as my old theme did not work with the new host). I have also (just) discovered that many of the links on the entity pages did not convert and will send you to the old blog. I will need to correct those on an individual basis so please be patient.
Please let me know about any other errors you find or your opinions on the new site by leaving a Comment below.
The Stamps of 2020: Week One
1 January 2020
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) — New Year Juche 109 (1 stamp)
- Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) — Pre-Paid Postal Cards (5 cards)
2 January 2020
- Australia — Joyful Occasions (10 gummed Stamps, 7 self-adhesive stamps and 1 Wedding Prestige booklet)
- Denmark — NORDEN: Mammals (5 stamps)
- Denmark — UNESCO World Heritage (5 stamps)
- Denmark — H.M. Queen Margrethe II 80th Birthday (1 miniature sheet of 5 stamps)
- Germany — Flowers: Daylilly (1 self-adhesive stamp in sheets of 10; coils of 500, 5,000 and 10,000)
- Germany — Ludwig van Beethoven 250th Birth Anniversary (1 self-adhesive stamp in sheets of 10)
- Germany — Ernst Barlach 150th Birth Anniversary (1 self-adhesive stamp in sheets of 10)
- Germany — Freedom of the Press (1 stamp)
- Germany — Treasures of German Museums: Vincent van Gogh, Poppy Field (1 self-adhesive stamp in sheets of 10 and coils of 100)
- Germany — Germany’s Most Beautiful Panoramas — Bonn / Siebengebirge (2 self-adhesive stamps in sheets of 10)
- Spain — 12 Months, 12 Stamps: A Coruña (1 self-adhesive stamp in sheets of 50)
- Spain — Tourism: Sightseeing Routes on Two or Four Wheels (2 self-adhesive stamps in sheets of 50)
- Spain — Definitives: HRH King Felipe VI (2 self-adhesive stamps in sheets of 50)
- Thailand — Zodiac Stamp: Year of the Mouse (1 stamp in sheets of 10)
3 January 2020
- Andorra (Spanish Administration) — Flag of Andorra (1 stamp in sheets of 25)
- France — Butterfly Effects (1 booklet of 12 self-adhesive stamps)
- France — Lille Métropole World Capital of Design 2020 (1 stamp in sheets of 42)
- Jersey — Lunar New Year: Year of the Rat (1 stamp in sheets of 10, 1 souvenir sheet of 1 stamp)
- Republic of China (Taiwan) — Completion of the Suhua Highway Improvement Project (2 stamps each in sheets of 18)