26 February 2020
Aquatic Life — Goldfish (Series II)
Chunghwa Post Stamp Number: D689
Issue Name: Aquatic Life Postage Stamps – Goldfish (II)
Designer: Jheng Yi-lang
Printer: Cardon Enterprise Co., Ltd.
Printing Method: Offset Lithography
From the issue’s information page on the Chunghwa Post website:
To spotlight the beauty of goldfish and to follow up on a January 24, 2019 release on these fish, Chunghwa Post will issue “Aquatic Life Postage Stamps – Goldfish (II),” a set of four stamps featuring Red Crane Crest Oranda, Ranchu, Broadtail Ryukin, and Pompons. Their designs are described below:
1. Red Crane Crest Oranda (NT$6): It has a totally white body with a large round red “hood” or “wen” on the top of its head, which sits firmly in place. It has a short round body and a large, long caudal fin. With its auspicious coloration, Chinese collectors regard it as embodying the idea of “opportunity knocks.”
2. Ranchu (NT$9): It has a smooth ovoid-shaped body like that of an egg. It has a large head, round belly, short and small caudal fin and no dorsal fin. The hood on its head is well developed. In Taiwan, it is known as the “king of goldfish.”
3. Broadtail Ryukin (NT$15): The salient features of this variety of Ryukin goldfish are its small head, pointy lips, lack of a hood, short body with round belly, long fin, large tail, and a fan-shaped caudal fin with shallow forks. As it swims elegantly through the water, it has an almost psychedelic look to it.
4. Pompons (NT$17): On its nose and between its eyes there are ball-shaped flaps made of nostril epidermal tissue, which resemble embroidered balls (hence, its Chinese name: the “embroidered ball” goldfish). When these balls are particularly big, they attract people’s attention as they rhythmically shake with the fish’s breathing.
Associated items with this issue:
(1) First Day Cover (162 mm × 114 mm): NT$2 apiece
(2) Folder (with or without mount): NT$5 apiece
(3) Loose-leaf album page: NT$8 apiece
(4) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with one NT$6-denominated stamp: NT$8 apiece
(5) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with a full set of stamps: NT$49 apiece
To purchase the relative philatelic products, please go directly to the post office branches, Postal Museum or order on line at https://stamp.post.gov.tw.